Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympics 2008 Begin Today



The Opening Ceremonies for Beijing 2008 is today. I wish I was there. I love the Olympics. When I was younger I used to want to be in the Olympics so bad. My fondest Olympic moments is watching the Dream Team in 1992, demolish the competition with such class and Micheal Johnson breaking the 200m record in 1996 wearing the gold spikes. I must ask though, are the Olympics still relevant? Do they still mean the same thing as they did in the past? With all the drug scandals and the social issues that plague the Olympics these days, is the celebration of competition and pride in one's country tainted by individuals? I am a true fan of the Olympics and believe their is no greater honor to represent your country in front of the world. It is the only sporting event that is not completely celebratory of the individual, where the team and the country is the most important thing. With these scandals going on, are athletes completely aware of what the Olympics mean and their purpose as representatives of their country. I hope the Olympics, the chance to experience the once in a lifetime experience is not overlooked by these athletes. Along with that, I hope that the world does not overlook the meaning of the Olympics and does not disregard the display of the true beauty of sport at its highest level. I believe the Olympics are very relevant and I hope that this great event is treated with the respect it deserves from all parties.

No comments: