Monday, August 25, 2008

State Capital of Virginia, Richmond
General Assembly Building


Statue of George Washington and other contributors to the
History and Government of the State of Virginia


The Black History Museum of Virginia



The People of the Jackson Ward neighborhood in Richmond, VA, 1950s


This weekend I visit the State Capital in Richmond as well as the Black History Museum and I learned a lot. It's incredible how much history and culture is in the city that I know very little about. Everyday I pass by these monuments and landmarks and have no idea their significance and the role they played in building the city that I live in today. I have been to the state capital before as well as sat in on some general assembly meetings, but it is great to see and visit the place where all the laws and rules that keep our state civilized are created.

The Black History Museum was great as well and featured exhibits on black inventors and fashion in Richmond during the 1950s. The main exhibit showcased Richmond's Jackson Ward area, which was known as the Harlem of the South and was the home of the legendary 2nd Street aka "The Deuce", where great black figures such as Joe Louis, Willie Mays and "Bojangles" visited on a regular basis when they came to Richmond. It was amazing to see how this neighborhood created great business for itself and sustained itself during the times of Jim Crow. Richmond has great history dating back to slavery and this trip definitely has inspired me to learn more about the culture and significant of my home city.

No comments: