Thursday, October 2, 2008

Monticello.


Thomas Jefferson


Kris and I admiring TJ's Gravesite


TJ's front door


The Beautiful Monticello


Closer look at TJ's Grave

For my Cultural Exploration class last week we were to visit Monticello. It was quite the experience. Monticello is the dream home, mansion and plantation of our nation's 3rd president and the author of the Declaration of Independence. I was amazed by the home and how much of the original structure and furniture was still there. The smell of the house that was built back in the 1700s was still strong and the floors squeaked with every move. The mirrors were aged and the1500 books in Jefferson's library looked as if they would fall to pieces if they were slightly moved. The house a great and really showed off Jefferson's smarts and imagination with many of the creations in the house as well as things seemed to be run in the home. What I found so amazing about the home was what was underneath the house, where the operations of the home was really run. The kitchen, the slave quarters, the ice house and the wine cellar where wine was pulled through a pulley system to the dining room for guests. I was truly amazed that back in the 1700s that there was that much thought and inventiveness put into a home. Jefferson's house by far could be considered a modern home on many levels, in my opinion.

There were a lot of thoughts going through my head as we took the tour through Monticello. I felt like a little kid. I felt like I was in the presence of greatness. The experience was humbling and just opened my eyes that there are so many things out here in the world that are fascinating that I have yet to experience. Monticello, even though the weather was not the best, was a great trip and I learned a lot. Seeing these old home of one of the men who shaped our country and is responsible for what we are today is truly great and inspiring. It's inspiring in the sense that it makes me want to do something great in the future that will be remembered by people. I enjoyed this visit so much, I plan to visit Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, in the near future.

No comments: