Sunday, October 26, 2008

Timothy Berg --"Tasty Treats" Exhibit

This exhibit is extremely cool to me. When I first saw this art, it definitely stuck out to me as something that was different and something that I would put in my house. However, what makes me love this art is what the artist, Timothy Berg, says inspired him and what these disappearing ice cream treats really allude to about our culture. This meaning is what makes this art stand out to me and it is something I would have never thought about until reading the inspiration for these pieces.

Tasty Treats

Things disappear.
Sometimes things disappear as the result of an accident.
Sometimes neglect causes things to disappear.
Sometimes things are intentionally made to disappear.

One's understanding of disappearance is the result of a specific perspective. In reality, most things do not disappear they simply transform. When they are transformed beyond recognition they are said to have disappeared.

My recent work revolves around notions of cultural consumption. I intend to create a tension between what is fun and what is grave in order to pose fundamental questions about the consequences of overconsuming. I employ humor and metaphor to simultaneously disarm the viewer and challenge them to evaluate the larger implications of our culture's habit of making things disappear.

Timothy Berg Website

No comments: