Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What's in a Name?

This short commentary was thought provoking to me.

"Just as Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner titled a chapter in their 21st century classic, Freakonomics, ‘A Roshanda by Any Other Name. How do babies with super-black names fare?’ The authors tell the story of a father named Robert Lane who decided to call his son Winner, thinking it would give the kid a boost in life. Three years later, he had another son and out of freakish amusement decided to call him Loser. Punch line of the story is: Winner Lane ended up as a loser in life and became a petty criminal living homeless on the streets. Loser Lane, on the other hand, graduated from college and became a sergeant with the New York police force. Long story short, you either overcome your name or you fail to live up to it."

I am currently studying advertising and this just made me think about brands, who spend a lot of time creating their name, logo and tagline to appeal to people, but are they living up to these promises these names give us. Some do and some don't. As it is soon to become my job to make sure that they do, I was just forced to think about myself and am I living up to what my name represents and what I was raised to stand for? Just something to think about.

To me there is nothing really in a name, it is what behind that really matters.

No comments: