Monday, October 6, 2008

VA. State Fair...Rodeo Time


This was the most expensive hot dog and fries I have ever bought and was also the worst tasting.


The Bull pen at the Rodeo.


Trying on the protective Bullriding vest.


Professional Bullrider Dan Welsh


The Bullriding event at the Rodeo. No one lasted the whole 8 seconds unfortunately.

Last week, I attended the Virginia State Fair. I must say that I was not extremely excited about the Fair even though it was my first time there in about ten years. I went during the day, so there was not a great amount of people there. I did not get on any rides, simply because I do not trust portable rides, but it was cool watching people enjoy these rides. The highlight of the day for me, were the pig races and the rodeo. I loved attending these events because I have never experienced anything of this nature ever before. The pig races were hilarious. These over sized pigs, running around a track, with hundreds of little kids screaming for them was a scene I have never witnessed before. It was truly exhilarating.

The rodeo was great too. I am sure there were better rodeos out there, I was still impressed and amazed by rodeos and the culture of cowboys. For a class project, we are exploring the culture of bullriding and seeing what it is all about. Seeing the bullriding event was great. I have a great respect for these athletes, the bull and the rider alike. The sport which is growing in popularity is crazy and a true adrenaline rush. After the rodeo, my group members and I got to meet Dan Welsh, a professional bullrider, and he talked with us for about an hour about bullriding, the culture, where he got started and why he enjoys bullriding so much. Intially, I thought bullriders were not really athlete and there was not a great amount of talent that wnet along with this sport, that is was just simply people who were half way out of their mind. All in all it was a great day, and I am definitely looking forward to learning more about bullriding and attending another rodeo in the future.

Here is a quick look at what Bullriding is all about:




No comments: