Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Generational Gap



The generational gap is something I never thought was that big of a deal. With a little discussion, teaching and exploration about certain misunderstood topics the two differing generations could gain better understanding or at least agree to disagree. Recently, this train of thought has been derailed. I have come to realize that this gap is sometimes impossible to bridge. Maybe it is the fact that both parties think that they are right, the fact that both parties think they had it a little bit harder or the fact that both parties are just closed minded to the learning they could obtain from another generation. I do no know what it is, but recently I have found it hard to communicate the cultural aspects of my generation to those generations before me. Even after an in-depth explanation of certain topics of discussion, these explanations are usually only met with blank stares or eye rolls that suggest that these thoughts being shared with them are absurd and pointless.
But as I think about it, a lot of the topics and discussions I have with older generations, the view points are not that different. Even fact as I look and listen closely, many ideas are born out of the same mindset and attitudes. Truth of the matter is we all face the same obstacles and circumstances, but through different stages of life we have different feelings about certain things. Everyone wants to be right and have their point of view reigh superior. In my opinion, we are both right and each generation has that thing that defines them and different aspects that influence their thought patterns. However, as I said before the feelings and points of views usually come from the same place you just have to look and listen closely for them. I admit it is hard to listen and to digest somethings that you feel go against how you feel and what you seen in your everyday life. But if you think about the generation you are talking to probably said the same thing about the generation before them and vice versa. To bridge the generational gap, we have to listen to each other and really try to see where they are coming from because at the end of the day, you could really learn something about yourself or someone else that can impact your life and the world around you.

No comments: