Monday, September 22, 2008

Read To Them


For my Cultural Exploration class, we are going to be creating a branding campaign for, Read To Them, an organization that reads to kids and encourages kids to read. In order to prepare for this assignment, I had to do my own research and actually go out and read to kids. So, Friday afternoon, I went to the VCU Child Development Center and read to a class of toddlers for thirty minutes. It was quite the experience. I am not a big fan of kids, though I like them, I just never mesh well with them. They always seem to be intimidated by my height and my monotone voice, haha. However, this experience was quite different. The kids took a liking to me quickly and were not shy at all. Though many of them could not talk very much, they were very engaged in my story that I was reading to them and me. They were climbing all over me and trying to take the book away from me and throwing new books for me to read at them. It was pretty funny. When I left the class, I was attacked bythe class giving away hugs to these little toddlers. Kids never fail to amaze me and one thing I learned from the experience is that children really need to be nurtured. There purity and innocence is something that should be cherished and preserved. Kids are a thing of beauty and their interest in everything around them is to be admired. My experience Friday really inspired me and will make me work my hardest to develop some good work for the Read To Them program.

No comments: