Sunday, September 21, 2008

Wifey Shirt: Offensive?


Do you find this shirt offensive? I have a friend who wore this shirt recently and caught extreme heat from some people who observed the image. I was kind of shocked at the backlash, he recieved from it and it kind of bothered me. What I see in this image is pure humor, it is simply funny, nothing more. This sends no negative message in my opinion. Of course, you would not wear this around kids and families, but there is nothing else to this shirt to me but humor. I find the shirt funy because seriously, is she really wifey material? If you really want to analyze this shirt, it probably comes from the saying , "you can't turn a hoe/partygirl into a housewife" no matter what you make her do, her roots are forever instilled in her. That is a message a lot of guys feel and live by, and that message is simply expressed through this humorous image on this shirt. A part of a lot of urban streetweat and urban street culture is taking these common phrases and philosophies we hear in music and in everyday life and flipping them on their heads in a humorous way. It is not meant to be understood by everyone.
It's unfortunate, but most people are only going to see that this is a naked girl on your T-shirt, and it is a corporate brand trying to make a joke and show the stupidity of today's youth. I disagree. Some people are just so closed minded and controlled by the thoughts of others that they are afraid to step out and make a statement. Yes, making a statement comes with a price sometimes, but should we live and do things everyday trying to avoid a price. I don't know. I guess I am in search for another perspective. It is quite possible that I may be mixed up in the head. Who knows. If you find this shirt and image offensive, let me know why? I want to learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this shirt.. I bought it because I thought it was funny and kind of cute in a way...
However, I brought it home and my girlfriend was shocked...
I wore it to university and while some saw the humour, other's seemed offended...

Has the world gone nuts!?

Anonymous said...

I am a wifey and I looove this shirt. I'm not a "ho"
Nor am I a fat ass sahm. I'm a sexy woman that takes care
Of myself (and drinks wine to get through it all).
So there. Of course your average mom or mini van majority
Would be offended.

Janet said...

Just came across this 4 years late. Since everyone who sees the shirt doesn't know you, it can come across as meaning this is what you want in a wife, or your definition of a wife, and that is definitely offensive. The term wifey itself offends some people, and coupled with the image would make the shirt offensive. It's not about being closed minded. It's about not having a clue what you're trying to communicate. How would someone know?