Sunday, September 21, 2008

Quote of the Day--- "Argument and Debate"

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
--Joseph Joubert--

"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. The heated mind resents the chill touch and relentless scrutiny of logic."
--William Ewart Gladstone--

"There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees."
--Michel de Montaigne--

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
--Dudley Field Malone--


I know I have a lot of quotes today, but they all mean something to me and is something that I deal with on a regular basis. I am a person that loves to disagree or to bring up controversy. Sometimes I just pretend to play the other side because it makes things more interesting, but at the same time I get a bad rep for having my own mind and expressing the willingness to debate my opinion. I have learned that argument and controversy can be where you learn the most about yourself and test your beliefs as well as learn new things about other people and other thoughts. I feel too many people look negatively on argument and debate and take things to heart to soon. Seriously, if everyone agreed with each other, if everyone saw things the same way, if we all attempted to be happy by simply pacifying each others egos and opinions by not challenging each other and ourselves, life would be so boring. Argument and disagreement are extremely important to our lives and society, and those who think otherwise, I feel leave in a world that they are the citizen. If there was no disagreement, the country as we know it, based on democracy, would not exist and there would be no interest in politics or elections. I encourage people to disagree and to debate, it is one of the most exciting and educational things we can involve ourselves in and should not be shyed away from.

No comments: