Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Jay-Z at Glastonbury '08



Jay-Z performed at Glastonbury this weekend and killed the shower. To me this solidifies that Jay is one of the most impactful artist in the world and not just the best rapper. This performance was great in every aspect and the crowd was feeling it. The most impressive part of the performance is the clever opening to the set, covering Oasis' hit "Wonderwall" and addressing his critics about him not being a credible act to headline the traditionally rock concert.

When it was announced in February that Jay-Z would top the Glastonbury bill, it seemed everyone had an opinion. Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher was the most vocal saying: "Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

"I'm sorry but Jay-Z? No chance. I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong."

But Jay-Z doesn't care what Noel thinks.

When someone makes judgments like that, they are kind of ignorant. Yeah, I have heard Noel's music, but I have never seen him or Oasis play so I can't say whether his show is rubbish. Until I see him perform, I can't really give an opinion on him.

"But I don't think he has ever seen me perform — I should send him a ticket."

Jay-Z really set himself apart with this one. Best Rapper Alive.

No comments: