Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Nike Hyperdunk Released


The Hyperdunk came out this weekend on Saturday and I did get a pair. These are taunted as being the best basketball shoe ever as well as the lightest and strongest. I cannot really comment on being the best basketball shoe ever because I have yet to play in them, but they are definitely the lightest. You can barely feel them on your foot and they fit the foot extremely well. I think they are pretty stylish. I love all the Olympic colorways for the individual teams. I cannot decide which country, I want to get, so I will stick with the stealthy all black for now.

Accompanying the release of the Hyperdunk is the advertising that goes with it. I really enjoy the ads for the Hyperdunk and there humorous approach. It kind of reminds me of the "Fun Police" ads they had way back in the day. However, three of the ads have been pulled for the fact that some of them may be deemed homophobic. I don't think any of the ads are homophobic at all. I mean, anyone who is part of basketball culture will understand the punchline of the advertising and the fact that is making fun of one of the most embarrassing parts of basketball: getting dunked on. No one would think these ads were homphobic, until attention was actually brought to them for being homophobic. I think that is absolutely ridiculous, but what can you do.

If you are not able to catch the ads, take a look at the website, the Hyperdunk Recovery Center. It is very interactive and entertaining, portraying as a sign-up website for victims who have suffer from Hyperdunk (getting dunked on). I spent about 20 minutes on it yesterday reading the content that is pretty well done and laughing at the victims of Hyperdunk. Nike has done a great job positioning and releasing the Hyperdunk, establishing as a shoe with a sort of superpower and creating a lot of buzz with the viral video of Kobe jumping over a speeding Aston Martin while wearing the Hyperdunks. Whether it was fake or real, the video got a lot of attention and a lot of free media coverage.Nike genius at work.


Nike Hyperdunk ads pulled
"Marty McFly" Hyperdunk Release Event
Nike Hyperdunk Recovery Center Website

No comments: