Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Ting Tings


I went shopping at Urban Outfitters and bought some shirts and the cashier girls puts this sampler CD in my bag. I look at the case when I get in the car and I have no heard of any of these bands. So, I pop in the CD and the first track is pretty good then I get to track 3 and I am blown away by the simple beat and the catchy rhythm and hook. I pick up the case and search for the track. It reads "Great DJ" by The Ting Tings. I play the song repeatedly for 45 minutes until I arrive home. The next day, I am watching MTV Hits and I hear this song and the sound is familiar and sounds a lot like the song I fell in love with the day before. I wait for the credits at the end of the visually simple yet stylistic video and it reads "Shut Up and Let Me Go" by The Ting Tings. I immediately become a fan. So I had to find out more about this group.

"The Ting Tings are an English indie-pop band, consisting of two members: Jules De Martino (drums, guitar, vocals) and Katie White (vocals, guitar, bass drum). They were originally from Leigh. They formed in 2006 while based at Castle Irwell, Salford. They have released 3 singles on their current label Columbia and the single "That's Not My Name" which charted straight at Number 1 in the UK Singles Chart on May 18 2008.The album We Started Nothing was released on May 19th, 2008 and also charted at Number 1 in the UK."

"Katie White and Jules De Martino needed a name for the "unintentional band" they'd created in 2007. For the sheer fun of it, Katie (vocals, guitar and bass drum) and Jules (vocals, drums, electronics) had begun writing songs together and doing impromptu shows as a two piece. Suddenly, they were generating massive excitement at a series of house parties at Manchester's Islington Mill, a derelict cotton mill from the Industrial Revolution converted into a thriving underground artist collective housing painters, filmmakers, writers, sculptures, musicians and more.
At the time, Katie was working in a boutique with a Chinese girl called "Ting Ting," which is also Mandarin term for a "band stand". "I thought it was lovely," Katie remembers. "It can also refer to the sound of innovation or an open mind. Like the 'ting' you hear when you get an idea."
Jules also loved the idea of becoming the Ting Tings. The name had two Tings "and there were two of us." And, like the sonorous peal of a bell, the new moniker held the rhythmic perfection of onomatopoeia."

That's a little bit about this new and emerging band. Check them out, they are different, but it is definitely music you will appreciate.

The Ting Tings Official Website

The Ting TIngs Myspace
Great DJ by The Ting Tings
Shut Up and Let Me Go
By The Ting Tings


No comments: