Thursday, July 3, 2008

Quote of the Day --- Respect

"The way you see people is the way you treat them, and the way you treat them is what they become."
--Johann von Goethe--

What this says to me is the respect you are given is the respect you give yourself. The ultimate respect is self-respect. If a person carries themself in a way that is respectful, they will be respected. So if you see a person as a respectful person to themselves you will treat them as such, and if you see them in a light that is not worthy of being respected then you will react to them as such. I disagree with the second part of this quote. I don't believe you can make someone become something by how you treat them. The seeds of their behavior or actions are already there, the way you treat them may be a simple factor in helping that seed to grow, but is definitely not a determining factor in what that seed becomes. Bottomline, we control how we are treated with how we treat and respect ourselves. If I carry myself in a respectful way, people have no choice but to treat me in the same manner.

No comments: