Wednesday, July 23, 2008

VCU: 8th Whitest Network on Facebook



The popular blog Stuff White People Like (they also have a book) has just created a Facebook application for the social networking site. In honor of the launch of the application that released a list of the whitest networks on Facebook and my current school, VCU, came in at number 8. This was very surprising to me and really made me think. I was completely oblivious to the fact that my school was that "white" especially when walking across campus, I definitely do not get that feeling. I guess it was enlightening (and kind of humorous) to be reminded of the environment I live in and to stay aware of that.

Article on the blog Stuff White People Like

Full list of Stuff White People Like

I have always wondered if the creators of this blog are black or white and would that effect the popularity and impact of this blog. Considering that fact, how do people feel about the Black versions of this blog, Stuff Black Educated People Like and Stuff Black People Love. If you knew the race of the creators of these blogs, as a black or white person, would you receive the satire of these blogs in the same way or would you think of these thoughts as slander? Something to think about.

No comments: